Although not much of it has survived today, there had once been a huge castle in Gdańsk, a gloomy and notorious residence of the Teutonic commander, one of the largest and most important fortresses in the Teutonic state. Its remain is constituted by a part of the Old Town with the significant name ‘Castle’, which is worth visiting in Gdańsk. At the Motława waterfront, at Wartka Street, to this day stands a historical tower, rebuilt into a tenement house, along with a section of an old defensive wall crowned with a medieval crenelage. Those are the only survived, authentic traces of the Gdańsk fortress, and more specifically fragments of its external fortifications, defending the so-called ‘bailey’, the space between the walls of the outer and inner fortress. The castle, whose construction began around 1340, was a vast, monumental building erected on the site of the former castle of Pomeranian dukes. It consisted of the High Castle and two wards. The High Castle was a massive quadrangle crowned with four powerful towers. The north-eastern tower, with an octagonal base, was the tallest building in the city, as the Knights imposed a ban on the construction of higher buildings on the townspeople – the high towers of St Mary’s Church and the Main Town Hall could be completed only after the city had been liberated from the Teutonic rule. The castle located on the Motława River bend played a key role in controlling the Port of Gdańsk. It was a symbol of the Teutonic power. Surmounting the city with its powerful towers, in fact it had the function of a citadel, which was supposed to primarily control the power of the Teutonic Knights over the city. It is not surprising that when in 1454 the anti-Teutonic uprising broke out in response to the ever-increasing pressure from the authorities, the Gdańsk residents, assaulting the castle, captured it and almost immediately proceeded to the systematic demolition of the resented building. As it can be seen, it turned out to be so effective that only minor inconspicuous remains of this great and magnificent building have been preserved.